I’m not big on birthdays – I think the only one I was truly excited for was my 18th because I could finally buy tobacco (and I’m not a cigarette smoker). Most years I try to keep it fairly low key.
Wednesday was the actual day, so I had work – my best friend sent me an edible arrangement and balloons, while my colleagues pitched in an ice cream cake. That evening it was champagne and clubbing with the girls.
The next night we basically did it all over again, as it was a good friends going away party (or round 2 of my birthday). For the first time in what felt like forever, I had a really good time going out.
Over the weekend I had to recover (I’m old now), so I spent it inhaling take out and binge-watching Netflix.
It’s been one hell of a year – but that’s for another blog post. For today, I’m going to outline some of the most precious bits of information and wisdom (in my opinion) I’ve gathered over my 24 years on this Earth.
1. You have to love yourself – because you’ll be spending a whole lot of time with you.
2. Being in love and in a committed partnership is the greatest gift – when it’s going well.
3. Sometimes you have to give up on someone not because you don’t care, but because they don’t.
4. Family first. Always.
5. Work to make a living but don’t make work your life.
6. Unless you love it – and you should. Remember what you wanted to be when you were little? Be that.
7. But don’t sacrifice love, family, and friendship for work. At the end of the day, those people are what life is all about.
8. Have fun. Go out. Explore. Try new things. YOLO
9. But create goals and work hard to meet them. Seeing change and progress is immensely satisfying.
10. There’s no such thing as failure – but there is such a thing as giving up. When things get hard, keep going.
11. Sometimes you’ll realize the course you set out on is all wrong – it’s okay to change it (and you should).
12. Sometimes you’ll realize the person you set out WITH is all wrong.. It’s okay to let them go.
13. Sometimes they’ll let you go and it will hurt like nobodies business.
14. Time heals everything.
15. Be grateful for what you have before it’s gone.
16. But you don’t know what you’re missing until you find it.. Go find it.
17. Leave your hometown, at least for a little while.
18. Leave your relationship, at least for a little while.
19. Change gives you perspective into who you are and what you want. Don’t waste that precious time.
20. Find a balance. I’m still working on this everyday.
21. Take care of yourself and your health, you’ll never regret it when you’re older (but don’t be so rigid that you’ll turn down a fun invitation or delicious meal because it’s not “cheat day”).
22. Read. A lot. I love nonfiction but can sometimes get sucked into a soul-wrenching fiction book (the same goes for great TV/film).
23. Make your own something. Whether it’s a business or a passion project or a hobby or a nonprofit – add something to this world. It fulfills you and helps others.
24. Embrace getting older because you’re that much further away from the ridiculous teenager you used to be.
What do you think? Agree/disagree? Have some words of wisdom of your own? Let’s start a dialogue..